Margaret River Ag Show is back

Latin Fusion, 2015

Rita Montgomery

Latin Fusion, 2015

Ashleigh Melanko, ECU Reporter

Held on October 13 and 14 the Margaret River Agricultural Show is back for its 88th year, bringing with it an assortment of rides, food, music and entertainment.

The first show in 1929 was held in a paddock belonging to Mr T. Higgins and ever since 1934, with the exception of the WWII years, it has been held at Gloucester Park.

Ian Earl, President of the Augusta Margaret Rive Shire Council, wants people to know how it appeals to all ages and what makes it such a big success. 

“It has a great community base, it continues to grow and has great variety. Every year there are new additions that make it special,” Mr Earl said.

Some of the new events include the beef cattle competition and sheep dog trials. But there are still the usual favourites; the Australian Army Band, animals and fireworks to finish off the night, and of course Margaret River showcases what it is famous for – the wines.

ECU Daily spoke with Rita Montgomery, an experienced Bollywood dancer and instructor and bellydancer from BellyVision, who are performing at the show.

“We like performing because it provides an opportunity to showcase what my fitness and performance classes are like.

“I have been performing very intermittently at the show since 2004 with Bellydance, Zumba and Konga demos. The BellyVision Dancers had their first troupe performance in 2008 and then again in 2014, ’15, ’16 and ’17,” she said.

Places for stalls are also still available for those who are wanting to sell their products.

“There’s very good attendance and people have the opportunity to showcase their products,”  Mr Earl said.

After some generous funding from the Department of Youth, Sport and Recreation and the Margaret River-Busselton Farm Advisory Service, the show was able to build its own permanent office at Gloucester Park in Margaret River and as stated on the website this funding cements the show as ‘one of the major shows of the State.’

You can check out the website and purchase tickets here.

Margaret River Ag Show is back