NewsVineWA

Perth Stadium Open Day Jan 21

Food, music, nature playgrounds and a lighting display are just some of what you can expect to see at the community open day

The free community open day will be held on January 21st

Perth Stadium

Brigid Dix, Reporter

After months of construction (with a few complications along the way), Premier Mark McGowan announced there will be a free community open day held at the new Perth stadium on 21 January  2018.

The event is free, although you will still have to download tickets prior to the event with ticket details to be announced by the stadium team later this year.

At the open day visitors will be able to tour the stadium, as well as try the food and drink. Visitors will also get to watch the lighting display as well as view the stadium’s visual and audio effects.

The surrounding park will also be open for visitors to explore and give kids and those young at heart the chance to play on the nature playground while listening to live bands play.

Due the delayed opening of the footbridge, visitors may have a hard time easily accessing the stadium.

The bridge is now not expected to be completed until March 2018 and it is unclear as to whether it will be completed in time for the Ed Sheeran concert.

The Community Open Day comes in the lead up to the first confirmed event. The women’s AFL team Fremantle Dockers is set to play on February 10 at the stadium, but it is unclear who they are to play at this time.

According to Glenn Mitchell, a project manager from the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries at Perth Stadium: “The match is expected to attract a crowd of more than 30,000, which would break the record for the largest attendance at an AFL Women’s match and substantially exceed the 10,000-capacity crowd at the Fremantle Dockers Women’s opener at Fremantle Oval in February 2017.”

However, there is a possibility a one day Australia vs England cricket test match could be played at the stadium on January 28 if the stadium is ready in time, the WACA has stated on their website: “It is Cricket Australia’s hope that Perth Stadium will be ready in time to host international cricket this season, but should the stadium not be ready matches will be hosted by the WACA ground.”

According to the Department of Sport and Recreation’s website, as of the beginning of September 2017 94% of the stadium was complete with 6% still to be completed.

The stadium is set for a big year ahead, with the women’s AFL match in February, musician Ed Sheeran’s concerts in March, the NRL season opener on March 10 and English premiere team Chelsea set to play against Perth Glory in late June, so it is hoped the stadium is ready on time with all these events planned to be held there. According to Mr Mitchell the stadium will really benefit the Perth Community especially the sporting community “The stadium’s capacity of 60,000 will allow significantly more people to access major sporting events than is currently possible with existing stadiums within the city.”

The stadium will be the third largest stadium capacity wise in Australia and that capacity will be tested on the community open day, with many people expected to visit and tour the stadium.

For more information about the community open day and to register your interest to get tickets you can go to this page: http://perthstadium.com.au/whats-on/perth-stadium-opening/

Perth Stadium Open Day Jan 21