Our spring/summer festival guide

Laneway Festival

Greg Corrigan

Laneway Festival

Greg Corrigan, ECU Reporter

Can we please get rid of this crazy stigma that the festival scene in Perth is going down hill or disappearing?

It’s no secret that many people believe Perth to be lacking in many events that cater to music lovers. Sure, we lost Big Day Out in 2014, Future Music Festival and West Coast Blues ‘n’ Roots Festival in 2015, Soundwave just last year and Southbound this year, but let’s not forget about the ones we’ve gained and that have taken over by popular demand.

Falls Music and Arts Festival finally hit Fremantle early this year and was welcomed with open ears by WA’s hub of creativity, Fremantle. Parklife Festival became Listen Out Festival in 2013 and is growing in popularity. Even this year the organisers of Origin on New Year’s Eve and Castaway Festival in Rottnest have teased us with a new event based in Perth, Fidelity Festival.

Perth’s festival season is fast approaching with tickets and lineups being released to win the public over and to destroy the stereotype that Perth isn’t as interesting as it’s neighbouring states. But which ones are worth the time and money? Well we’ve created a guide to the biggest up and coming festivals approaching over Spring and the coming Summer.

SPRING

September

24 September 2017 – Listen Out | Western Parklands, HBF Arena Joondalup

Organisers announced Listen Out after the cancellation of Parklife in 2013, one of Australia’s longest running and most popular music festivals. The replacement event has been described as a national “intelligent dance event” that takes place in Sydney, Perth, Melbourne and Brisbane. Currently headlining across three different stages this year are artists like Mac Miller, SAFIA, What So Not, Pnau and Duke Dumont. Tickets range between $142-$182 and are still available.

October

7 October 2017 – Oktoberfest in the Gardens | Langley Park, Perth CBD

Although this event may not necessarily be celebrating the music that hits Perth, it is a great example of how well the traditional Bavarian festival can bring beer lovers together. It includes two big halls where traditional German performers play and those that attend even get their own event stein on entrance. Tickets are currently selling for $72 and did we mention it’s hugely acceptable to dress up.

November

17 – 19 November 2017 – Rottofest | Rottnest Island

Rottofest is becoming an increasingly popular comedy, film and music festival that takes place in various locations around WA’s famous Rottnest Island. This year it features big names like Arj Barker, Frenchy, Rhys Nicholson and Becky Lucas and is set to be a weekend to please everyone. Tickets are available through http://rottnestisland.com/rottofest

18 November 2017 – Reflections ft. the Temper Trap and Jet | Fremantle Arts Centre, Fremantle

Despite this event not necessarily being a festival, it’s an important one to add to the list. It’s the first of its kind and has hopes of continuing on in years to come. Reflections is featuring two of Australia’s biggest bands, The Temper Trap and Jet, which is a “reflection” (excuse the play on words) of how Perth chooses to fully recognise Australian music and talent. First Release tickets are on sale now for $81.60 through oztix.

25 November 2017 – Sets on the Beach | Port Beach, Fremantle

Described as a “series of boutique beach parties which only happen a few times a year, at an amazing beachside location”, Sets on the Beach is a great way to prepare you for the summer to come. Even though the line-up has not been released yet, anyone will tell you to get in quick when buying tickets as it is one of Fremantle’s popular events. In includes a variety of live bands and DJs to accompany the beachside atmosphere and is a great day out for music lovers. Tickets are currently selling through oztix for $69.90.

SUMMER

December

2 December 2017 – Fidelity Festival | Wellington Square, Perth

From the organisers of Origin NYE festival comes a new addition, Fidelity Festival and will feature many great artists such as Alt-J, The Shins and Warpaint. It showcases a variety of music, arts and cultural experiences and is one of the few music festivals that ever take place in the heart of Perth – Wellington Square. This is one of Perth’s newest music and arts events and with tickets at $106.85 through ticketbooth.

3 December 2017 – SummerSalt Festival | Hotel Rottnest, Rottnest Island

This is also another new addition to Perth’s festival scene and brings together a mix of national and international artists to perform, while you gain a chance to relax in the sun. Summersalt is an all ages event that will feature performances by The Cat Empire and Xavier Rudd, as well as a variety of stalls. A general admissions ticket is $99.90, however if you really want to complete your day you can purchase a SummerSalt lounge ticket for $225 which includes benefits like a private bar and private food to indulge in, whilst relaxing in your own personal lounge.

31 December 2017 – Origin NYE | Claremont Showgrounds

One of Perth’s most popular and longest running dance events, Origin NYE is the perfect place to be on New Year’s Eve if you’re into dancing and getting lost in heavy bass drops. This year those attending will be welcoming the new year with the likes of DJ Snake, Mura Musa, Schoolboy Q, Stormzy and many more. It’s a festival featuring DJs and a range of drum and bass artists. Tickets are available through ticketbooth with prices varying between $173.95 and $507.95 depending on what kind of package and essentially what kind of New Year’s Eve is for you.

January

6 – 7 January 2018 – Falls Music and Arts Festival | Fremantle

Another hugely popular Australian music festival that takes place over two days in Fremantle, Falls Festival and features the musical stylings of Flume, Fleet Foxes, The Kooks, Glass Animals, Peking Duk and so many more. One of the most important ways to make your Summer is to see what Falls has to offer as it makes sure to incorporate historic sites and places that are all around Fremantle, the hub of Perth’s music and arts scene. A Weekend Festival Ticket is currently $269, where a ticket for either the Saturday or Sunday is just a $139. Also did we mention that Liam Gallagher will be performing too?

• Our spring/summer festival guide

Arts and Entertainment

Harry Potter’s 20th anniversary

• Our spring/summer festival guide

Arts and Entertainment

Cirque’s Toruk is Avatar history

• Our spring/summer festival guide

Arts and Entertainment

The Royal Show returns

• Our spring/summer festival guide

Arts and Entertainment

What’s On: Oktoberfest

• Our spring/summer festival guide

Arts and Entertainment

Get your quiz hat on

• Our spring/summer festival guide

Arts and Entertainment

Lindt opens in Perth

• Our spring/summer festival guide

Arts and Entertainment

COMMENT: The ink generation

• Our spring/summer festival guide

Arts and Entertainment

New York style love on screen

• Our spring/summer festival guide

Arts and Entertainment

Doughnut miss this market

• Our spring/summer festival guide

Arts and Entertainment

What’s On: Twilight dining

Our spring/summer festival guide