Sexism blamed for gender pay gap

Infographic explaining the gender pay gap percentage.

Kate Smith- Piktochart

Kate Smith- Piktochart

ABC TV - Growing up Gracefully

Kate Smith, ECU Reporter

Sexism is the most likely reason behind the gender pay gap according to a study conducted by Motu Economic and Public Policy Research Trust.

The study examined 50% of the working population in New Zealand from 2001 to 2011 and looked at key areas; productivity, willingness to bargain, different workplaces and levels of employment, and employment duration.

Discussing the study, lead researcher Dr Isabelle Sin reported that sexism was a key component,

“To put it simply, our research suggests sexism is likely to be a major driver of the gender wage gap. What we’re going to do about it is another matter,” Dr Sin said.

The study’s statistical processes ruled out many components contributing to gender pay gaps and left only sexism to blame.

The report revealed that women are being paid 84 cents to every $1 paid to the average man.

An interesting finding of the study was that the gender pay gap varies as the generations age.

“There was a 16 percent pay gap for women aged 25-39, a 21 percent gap for those aged 40-54, and a 49 percent gap for older women,” Dr Sin said.

The Australian office of Plan International, a global organisation working in over 50 countries to provide basic needs to children, shared a report on September 3 about parents’ influence on gender equality.

The report, based on an IPSOS survey of 500 fathers in each major Australian city, found that dads are in favour of equality with 97% agreeing that dads must play an equal role in parenting and 97% saying that they care about teaching their children the importance of respecting all genders equally.

“It’s encouraging that so many dads in Australia support gender equality. Many of the dads Plan works with are active campaigners for girls’ rights, who campaign against child marriage and female genital mutilation and work hard to secure better education and equal opportunities for their daughters. We’re pleased to see those values reflected in dads here in Australia too,” CEO Ian Wishart said.

These statistics show that although sexism is still having an impact, it may eventually die out as parents teach children the important effects of treating all gender’s equally from an early age.

Hannah and Eliza Reilly, TV stars from ABC’s Growing up gracefully show, made a controversial video last month called leave at 3:43 satirising the 16% gender pay gap in a doco-comedy musical video which has spread around social media.

The video contains course language and can be viewed here

• Sexism blamed for gender pay gap

News

WAAPA showcase a whopper

• Sexism blamed for gender pay gap

News

Students not reporting sexual harassment & assault

• Sexism blamed for gender pay gap

News

COMMENT: Faith in an Institution of Lies

• Sexism blamed for gender pay gap

News

Hedonism and the Dark Triad

• Sexism blamed for gender pay gap

News

Touch: the least used sense

• Sexism blamed for gender pay gap

News

Baclofen ‘cure’ not all it seems

• Sexism blamed for gender pay gap

News

Spirit Walker snubbed by Turnbull.

• Sexism blamed for gender pay gap

News

The fight for Horizontal Falls

• Sexism blamed for gender pay gap

News

COMMENT: Coal or Coral?

• Sexism blamed for gender pay gap

News

Sea Shepherd ends Southern Ocean Mission

Sexism blamed for gender pay gap