New York style love on screen

Apanda Anyuon, ECU Reporter

This month Luna Cinemas will be screening a much acclaimed and intriguing psychological mystery family drama called, The Only Living Boy in New York.

Titled after the 1970 song by Simon & Garfunkel, The Only Living Boy in New York tells the tangled story of a young college graduate who engages in a romantic relationship with his father’s mistress, Johanna.

Set in New York City, the story follows Thomas Webb (Callum Turner), the son of a publisher (Peirce Brosnan) and his artistic wife. Thomas is a recent college graduate from college trying to find his place in the world.

He befriends and seeks the guidance of an eccentric neighbour W.F. (Jeff Bridges), a shambling alcoholic writer who dispenses worldly wisdom alongside healthy shots of whiskey.

Thomas’ world begins to shift when he discovers that his long-married father  is having an affair with a seductive younger woman (Kate Beckinsale).

Directed by Marc Webb (The Amazing Spider-Man, Gifted) from a screenplay by Allan Loeb (The Space Between Us, Just Go with It), The Only Living Boy in New York is a sharp and witty coming-of-age story. Despite the film being only one-hour and a half in length, it’s filled with mystery and drama.

The movie will preview on Saturday 30 September at 10.30am for an 11.00am screening at Luna cinema in Leederville.

The screening will be a ‘ New York’ style tasty Bagels from Beans & Bagels courtesy of Roadshow Entertainment and Luna Palace Cinemas. Guests will enjoy tea and coffee prior to film start.

You can watch the trailer here.

New York style love on screen