Doughnut miss this market

Sweet treats from Perth's best artisan bakers and pastry makers from the last Flour Market back in May

Copyright: Flour Market

Copyright: Flour Market

Danielle Blanch, Reporter

The second West Coast Bake Flour Market is set to take place on Saturday 23 September at The Goods Shed, in Claremont.

The market will bring Perth’s best artisan bakers and pastry makers together under one roof to sell their cakes, doughnuts, bread and pies.

Sarah Booth, co-owner of the Flour Market, said the market is an opportunity for people to try baked goods from places where they would never normally access, “there’s people in Freo who might not ever go to Mary Street Bakery in Highgate, or there’s people coming in from Scarborough that would never go to Wild Bakery in Freo, so the market is a chance for people to experience all of the delicious food coming from these areas that aren’t necessarily their local.”

The concept for the Flour Market started in Melbourne from an idea to give small wholesale bakers and sweet artisans a platform to sell their goods to the public.

Ms Booth likens the response to the inaugural Melbourne Flour Market to Boxing Day sales crowds, “people were banging on the glass before it opened, and it sold out within 30 minutes.”

From there the Flour Market hit the road and set up in Sydney. Then, with a bit of pressure from her mum, she brought the market to her hometown: Perth.

“In a bid to get me back to home more often, my mum suggested I bring the Flour Market to Perth. With the support FORM and The Goods Shed everything just fell into place, so it’s been so lovely to be able to bring it there.”

The first West Coast Bake Flour Market, held back in May, was so successful that vendors sold out by 11.30am.

Ms Booth was really happy with the results, “everyone likes cakes and baked goods, so it wasn’t a huge surprise, but we had such a good response,” she said.

“We’re aiming for this one to be bigger and better than the last one.”

Some of the vendors confirmed for the day include Mary Street Bakery, Baker Street, Wild Bakery, Top Dup Donuts and vegan delights from Carina’s Kitchen.

Coffee will be available from The Goods Shed’s on site café, The Coffee Pod.

Ms Booth said there are a few more Flour Markets planned for Perth next year, “We’re really looking to make it a regular thing in Perth.”

Entry is free. The market opens at 9am-sold out.

• Doughnut miss this market

Arts and Entertainment

Harry Potter’s 20th anniversary

• Doughnut miss this market

Arts and Entertainment

Cirque’s Toruk is Avatar history

• Doughnut miss this market

Arts and Entertainment

The Royal Show returns

• Doughnut miss this market

Arts and Entertainment

What’s On: Oktoberfest

• Doughnut miss this market

Arts and Entertainment

Get your quiz hat on

• Doughnut miss this market

Arts and Entertainment

Lindt opens in Perth

• Doughnut miss this market

Arts and Entertainment

COMMENT: The ink generation

• Doughnut miss this market

Arts and Entertainment

Our spring/summer festival guide

• Doughnut miss this market

Arts and Entertainment

New York style love on screen

• Doughnut miss this market

Arts and Entertainment

What’s On: Twilight dining

Doughnut miss this market