Feast your eyes

Danica Zuks

Danica Zuks

Megan Birch, ECU Reporter

We love to share our food, not physically, but digitally. Food photography on social media is becoming so more and more popular.

So much so that Perth Photographer Danica Zuks is holding a food photography workshop to teach people “how to capture drool worthy images of their food and spruik up their insta wall.”

The Eating with Your Eyes Food Photography Workshop will be held on 16 September and is open to people aged 12-25.

Zuks is a professional Food Photographer and said: “Eating with your eyes first, is actually a true statement, I know that I get more enjoyment out of my food when it looks beautiful.”

But why is it we have such an obsession with posting photos of our food on social media?

“People are now seeing photos of their lifestyle, and photos of their life, as being part of the aesthetic that they want to send out to the world and Instagram is really all about that,” said Zuks.

Associate Professor Panizza Allmark is the coordinator of Media and Cultural studies at Edith Cowan University.

She explained: “Social media provides an opportunity for identity formation. It is possible to create and present an image of the self to the world. It provides autonomy in the way we can present ourselves, through our choice of images and posts.”

Food photography can also change the way we interact with food.

“The aesthetic qualities of an image can make something seem more desirable. An appealing photograph of food would pique interest in the restaurant,” Allmark said.

The Standard Bar and Kitchen’s Head Chef, Chase Weber, believes that social media is revolutionary for food photographers,

“It’s brought food into a different light. People are a lot more aware of what is happening in the food scene,” Weber said.

Weber also thinks social media is changing the way restaurants market themselves.

“It’s a lot more cost effective to do it through social media than have marketing companies do it for you. You can put things out quickly that reach a wider audience.”

This means foodies are no longer having to use review sites like Yelp or Tripadvisor to find out where the best feed is.

“If one person puts a good photo up that looks really nice for your venue then one of their friends are going to want to go there,” Weber said.

Zuks said that “a lot of people are using (photos on social media) as a tool now, and almost as a review.”

“One of the appeals of social media is the instant access to information by a few simple clicks. Spending time on social media is an escape from the banal aspects of the everyday,” said Allmark.

Zuks also believes that the influence of social media has made chefs care more about the presentation of food than they ever have before.

“It’s the first thing people judge you on now days, they want to take a photo of it before they eat it,” Weber acknowledged.

“But you’re going to get found out pretty quickly if you put up beautiful food that tastes terrible.”

When ECU Daily asked what is more important, the taste of the food or the look Weber said,

“It’s got to look good and it’s got to taste good, you can’t have one without the other.”

The Food Photography Workshop will take people on a guided tour of the “foodie hotspots” in Northbridge.

Propel Youth Arts WA is organising the event and tickets are $15 for Propel members and $20 for non-members.

For more information or to buy tickets click here.

Feast your eyes