Diversity on the runway

Ashleigh Melanko, ECU Reporter

Indigenous Artist Peter Farmer and Sandra Rives, designer from local label Red Opium, will showcase their fashion collaboration, Chirriger Collection, at the Telstra Perth Fashion Festival (TPFF) on Saturday 9 September.

Most of their designs will be worn by Indigenous models in the show, in hopes to bring diversity to the runway.

“For this show I was invited to participate particularly because there was a great interest in the aboriginal collection,” Rives told ECU Daily.

Farmer’s artwork has been printed onto Rives’s clothing to create a one-of-a-kind look.

“It was challenging in that the dresses were flowy compared to the more structured and tailored look of my previous designs,” Rives said.

Inspiration for the colouring of some pieces was taken from Chirriger, the brightly coloured Splendid Blue Fairy Wren,  commonly found in the WA bush.

“The designs on the fabric are of flowers, rivers, snakes etc. But it was the actual contemporary feel of the designs that got me excited to create a resort collection,” Rives added.

But no matter how many shows she does, Rives is always happy to do them.

“I am obviously happy to showcase in TPFF but I have already done several smaller shows before, it’s always nice to showcase your work.”

This was Rives first time collaborating with Farmer and she had nothing but praise,

“Collaborating with Peter Farmer was great, as he produced the artwork and I just brought them to life, so to speak. He was happy for me to design as I pleased and loved the collection,” she said.

The runway show will be a free event at Forrest Chase, starting at 1pm.

All photos are from Sandra Rives

Diversity on the runway