POND love at Freo Prison

POND are playing at the Fremantle Prison on September 16 with support from Body Type and Reef Prince.

MATT SAV

MATT SAV

Paint Me Silver is taken from POND’s new album The Weather out now on Marathon Artists: https://lnk.to/POND-TheWeather

Jackson Lavell-Lee, Reporter

POND is embarking on a national tour including one massive show in their home town at the Fremantle Prison on 16 September with Body Type and Reef Prince.

The Weather tour celebrates their 7th studio album, produced by Kevin Parker which includes their latest single Paint Me Silver, which has been described as a “perfect pop song”.

Lead singer Nicholas Allbrook told ECU Daily, if a genre label had to be put on the latest album, he would call it pop because he “didn’t know what the term Indi meant anymore. I enjoy it far, far more than all the other albums.”

Paint Me Silver is a vibrant celebration of having no plans and was written while walking the Bibbulmun track when Amber Fresh from the band Rabbit Island texted and the idea blossomed.

“I’m going to steal a cigarette off you, paint me silver and call me Herman Hess if I ever touch your pouch again,” she said.

The hilarious thought sparked some creative inspiration and Allbrook came back to Fremantle with lyrics ready for the song which has skyrocketed to popularity.

“I just thought that was beautifully poetic and it kind of went from there, emanating from my weird little place in the world,” Allbrook said.

Talking about the show at Fremantle Prison, he said he was proud to play music and change the atmosphere that hangs around the Fremantle landmark due to the horrors that took place there in the past.

“It’s something I’ve thought about a lot, wondering about the morality of performing there. My Mum used to do projects with the Aboriginal men who were incarcerated there in the ’80s so I know a lot of people wanted it to be burnt to the ground when it closed. I know people, like the poet and musician Robbie Walker, was brutally and unjustly beaten to death there,” he said.

“I also know that a lot of people wanted it to become a beautiful place of joy and learning, so I’ve made it okay in my brain. If I was to do anything other than burn the dark horrible place down, I would love to play music there and spread love,” Allbrook said.

The remainder of the tour includes gigs at The Gov Adelaide on the 15 September; three performances at The Corner Hotel Melbourne 20-22 September, Enmore theatre Sydney Saturday 23 September and the Triffid Brisbane on Sunday 24 September.

“I’ve been wanting to go on that model of tour for ages, if you play three nights at a smaller place you get to actually sleep-in, maybe walk around the MCG and go see some mates and leave all my shit around at the venue,” he said.

Another single off the record, Sweep Me Off My Feet is a systematic yet sexy anthem to belt out at the top of your lungs or groove to on the dance floor, with a distinct disco feel.

“Sweep Me Off My Feet has very defined parts that play really well into each other. Sub bass, chords, lyrics and the lead line and you sort of build on each if they need it, it was simple. That’s why it was so satisfying because it was succinct and clean,” he said.

Perfectly measured in its lurching between moods, relevant in its synth-pop/guitar-psych balance, and bang on the money for its polemical anxieties, The Weather is a classic Pond album.

Check out Pond, Body Type and Reef Prince at what will be a very memorable show at iconic Fremantle Prison on September 16. Tickets are selling fast at Lanewaypresents.com

POND love at Freo Prison