Kings Park’s blooming festival

Credits to: Kings Park and Botanic Garden

Mari Spanja, Reporter

From delicate blossoms to endless carpets of daring texture, the Kings Park festival this September is set to showcase some of the most unusual plants in the world.

The event is one of the longest running festivals in Australia, with more than half a million people expected to visit this year.

The display begins at the entrance to the WA Botanic Garden where you can experience a variety of colourful and fragrant plants. One of the plants on display is the Wax and Kangaroo Paw Garden, brimming with 700 individual plants and 30 species. They stand tall with striking colours ranging from red and pink to orange and yellow.

Some other species flowering in the WA Botanic Garden include Pink Everlasting, Qualup and Pink Fairy Orchid. Most have descriptions about their variety of colours, location and detailed history. Every single seed has been carefully planted, creating delicate swirls in the soil with enticing patterns.

The Botanic Garden then continues to the clear glass bridge that reaches up to 16m high. The bridge showcases a view of Perth City, while beneath the clear glass is a blooming sea of uninterrupted wild plants. In addition, the garden continues to grow every year with 500 new species of Eucalypts, Grevilleas and Acacias recently planted near the Botanic Pavilion.

Since the opening of the park in 1965, it has been devoted to preserving native flora, in recognition of Western Australia’s diverse, unusual and uniquely beautiful plant life.

The festival not only features plants, but local artists who draw inspiration from the diverse colours and shapes of the flora.

Included among them is the talented Western Australian artist, Penny Jewell who uses dye from native plants to decorate scarves and wraps. The art of using plants to make dye, creates a degree of uniqueness as each pattern is different and resonates with the land.

In addition, artist Sally Stoneman will be creating a large ephemeral sculpture, Woven Wildernest in the heart of the Botanic Garden. This piece will raise awareness of the Kwongan region of South West WA, as half of the plant species located in this area are found nowhere else on Earth.

Throughout the festival singers such as Nat Ripepi, Oliver Halvorsen, and Bernadine will fill the air with pleasant harmonies. The stage will be set at the Aspects of Kings Park with plenty of room to listen among the glowing beauty of spring.

If you’re still seeking the ultimate gardening experience, Q&A sessions at the Zamia cafe will be held every Wednesday morning at 10am giving you a chance to mingle with other nature enthusiasts. This is an opportunity to have questions answered by a Kings Park master gardener. Perhaps you’re interested in what plants are best to grow in your garden or what seeds are available to the public. The only cost is your coffee.

Festival facts:

• Kings Park produces all its own seeds and plants.
  • The Kings Park nursery has produced more than 25,000 plants for the 2017 festival.
  • All wildflowers on display during the festival are native to Western Australia.
  • Most festival events are free, from outdoor exhibitions, to guided walks and chill out zones.
  • It’s a year round preparation for the Festival, with approximately 25 staff and 20 volunteers planting wildflowers for a three month period leading up to the Kings Park Festival.

The festival commences on September 1 and will continue until September 30.

For more information, click here.

• Kings Park’s blooming festival

Arts and Entertainment

Harry Potter’s 20th anniversary

• Kings Park’s blooming festival

Arts and Entertainment

Cirque’s Toruk is Avatar history

• Kings Park’s blooming festival

Arts and Entertainment

The Royal Show returns

• Kings Park’s blooming festival

Arts and Entertainment

What’s On: Oktoberfest

• Kings Park’s blooming festival

Arts and Entertainment

Get your quiz hat on

• Kings Park’s blooming festival

Arts and Entertainment

Lindt opens in Perth

• Kings Park’s blooming festival

Arts and Entertainment

COMMENT: The ink generation

• Kings Park’s blooming festival

Arts and Entertainment

Our spring/summer festival guide

• Kings Park’s blooming festival

Arts and Entertainment

New York style love on screen

• Kings Park’s blooming festival

Arts and Entertainment

Doughnut miss this market

Kings Park’s blooming festival