Reformer Pilates All the Rage in Perth

Reformer+Pilates+machine+
Reformer Pilates machine

Reformer Pilates machine

Reformer Pilates machine

Tayla Damir, Staff Reporter

Reformer Pilates has taken Perth by storm with classes booked out in studios around town.

“Reformer pilates is Perth’s latest health craze and it will continue to grow as anyone and everyone can do it, and the benefits are endless,” said Helen Clarke, owner of Core Focus Pilates.

“WA is always a little bit behind the times. Reformer took off in Melbourne four to five years ago, but is only just becoming popular here now, which is exciting”.

“It promotes length, strength, flexibility and balance, and can be used for both physical and mental benefits.”

“It is a fantastic way to switch off from your everyday life and practice mindfulness. It allows your whole body to become aware and enables you to build core strength.

“This will eliminate things like back pain by correcting your alignment and looking after your spine correctly when exercising”.

Founder of the system of exercises designed to improve body strength, Joseph Pilates, invented the newly popular reformer machine in 1883. It is a bed-like frame with a flat platform and resistance springs.

Reformer is versatile and can be used for many different purposes. The machine can be used lying down, sitting, standing, horizontally, upside down and so forth.

TV presenter Phoebe Burgess, 24, who had back surgery last year, said the technique had helped her get active again.

She used the technique and machine to overcome her surgery and get back into shape while correcting her back.

“I was promised a leaner, longer and stronger body, free from back pain. I wasn’t disappointed,” said Burgees.

Perth student and office worker Danielle Guest experiences severe back pain, which leads to migraines due to her bad posture at work. Guest saw popular Victoria’s Secret models Bridget Malcolm attend a reformer class, which sparked her interest in the fitness machine.

“I had been told to try pilates as a way to correct my pelvic floor and posture, but didn’t want to do traditional Pilates as I find it boring at times,” Ms Guest told ECU Daily.

“When I saw a model I follow on social media post about reformer pilates I started researching. I found there were many cases like mine, where people’s posture had been improved.”

Clarke told ECU Daily, “Models benefit a lot from it, not only because it corrects their posture, but also tones their bodies and creates muscle without any bulking.”

The Pilates Institute of Western Australia has also introduced reformer Pilates into their classes.

Suzanne Newby, Director of The Pilates Institute of Western Australia said, “It’s a unique class which is suitable for every level of ability. We have seen a spike in our class attendance numbers over the past six months”.

“With the classes becoming more and more popular, especially through social media, we predict the craze will continue as we further develop our classes,” added Clarke.

• Reformer Pilates All the Rage in Perth

Health and Science

Can you tell what’s real or fake?

Health and Science

Languages falling silent

Health and Science

Prevention better than cure

Health and Science

Diet and exercise can relieve asthma symptoms

Health and Science

Africa’s Democratic Dogs

Health and Science

Think you’re Gluten Intolerant? Probably not

Health and Science

Better treatment for type 1 diabetes

Health and Science

WTF is CMT!?

Health and Science

Coffee or craving?

Health and Science

BMJ: 13 reasons why we need tougher TV rules

Reformer Pilates All the Rage in Perth