12 things you have to know before using Tinder

Tinder is the dating app that came from nowhere, and now it’s changing the whole dynamic of the dating scene.

Dana Alhuneidi, Staff Reporter

Online dating has been around for a long time, with dating sites such as eHarmony and Match.com. But the app Tinder has taken the dating scene to a whole new level.

So what’s all the fuss? If you’re single it’s likely you have the app and are using it. Even if you’re in a happy relationship you have probably helped your friends swipe left or right.

Tinder is a dating app where you can have casual hook ups and never see them again, or meet the love of your life. The app finds your potential matches based on their proximity to you.

Tinder’s motto is “The people we meet change our lives.”

It argues that the company builds products that bring people together: “A friend, a date, a romance, or even a chance encounter can change someone’s life forever. Tinder empowers users around the world to create new connections that otherwise might never have been possible.”

Since its launch in September 2012, it is estimated to have gained more than 50 million active users. They check their accounts an average of eleven times a day and spending an average of 90 minutes on there. You can even find celebrities on there, such as actress Hilary Duff.

How does it actually work?

It’s very simple. First it finds your location using the GPS in your phone, it then uses your Facebook information to create your dating profile ( don’t be alarmed it won’t post anything on your Facebook page).  After that your Tinder profile is made up of your first name, age, photos and what age range you want, it then finds potential matches near you.

Your profile is then ready to mingle. You swipe right if you “like” them, and swipe left to “pass”. If you match, then you can start messaging: it’s that simple and easy. If you’re travelling you can also find potential matches wherever you are around the world.

So, if you think you’re ready to download the app and find some matches here are 12 things you should before using Tinder;

1. Be prepared!  Don’t expect to meet prince charming straight away.
  2. You’ll second guess your decision getting Tinder.  You tend to meet unusual people so you will say to yourself “is this really worth it”.
  3. Not everyone on Tinder is a creep — but sometimes they are. In these cases you have to forget about and delete them. Then proceed to keep swiping.
  4. You’ll sometimes awkwardly match with people you already know – #awkies if this happens, just laugh it off because it is bound to happen.
  5. Sometimes you will run into your matches in public. Be brave and embrace it, don’t be nervous.
  6. Swiping is more fun than chatting. Sometimes you just want to swipe away instead of talking but that’s fine.
  7. As time goes by, you realise how shallow you really are. Tinder is basically rating if you’re hot or not, however we are human and that’s what we do tend do judge people by their looks.
  8. You will find yourself swiping left more than right. This happens quite frequently, but don’t worry, there are plenty of fish in the sea.
  9. Be safe. If you’re going on a Tinder date, let your friends know where you’re going to be. In case it doesn’t  go smoothly you can send out an SOS text so they can save you.
  10. You will get messaged the worst pick-up lines in history. Ignore and don’t reply. Nobody has time for that child-play.
  11. You could actually find true love. Anything is possible.
  12. Just have fun.

So if you think you can handle Tinder, then download the app and swipe away, you never you know what can happen.