Featuring the best student journalism and broadcasting @ ECU.

Anstiss Named in National Youth Squad

Oliver Skelton, Staff Reporter

West Coast Fever Centre Jessica Anstiss has been awarded selection in the National Youth Team after a stunning debut season in the Suncorp Super Netball League this year.

The 20-year-old will compete alongside 13 others representing Australia at the 2017 Netball World Youth Cup held in Gaborone, Botswana in July.

The Maida Vale born child prodigy, has been a success story of the Netball High Performance pathway, representing Western Australia in both the Under 17 and 19 National Comps.

It was impressive performances in both competitions that saw Anstiss earn a contract with Suncorp Super Netball’s West Coast Fever at the beginning of the 2017 season.

Since her Round One debut, Anstiss has not missed a game, showing her strengths across all three midcourt positions.

Anstiss told ECU Daily she immediately noticed the step up of skill compared to the previous competition.

“It’s definitely the intensity and physicality, it’s a significant raise from the other levels that’s for sure,” Anstiss said.

Anstiss has since become a prominent figure in the 11 man squad with her centre court presence matching up with some of the best in the league. While still only in her first season, she has amassed 26 interceptions for the year, ranking her eighth in the entire competition and first for any centre court player.

Anstiss said she was looking forward to the challenge playing for her national team will bring.

“Being able to play alongside and against the best players in the world in my age group is going to be an experience that I’m never going to forget,” Anstiss told ECU Daily.

It’s performances like these that West Coast Fever Executive Officer Tamara Sheppard believes earned Anstiss her national selection.

“Jess is not only a hard working player on the court but a valued teammate who is selfless, dedicated and passionate about this club. There is no greater honour than representing your country, and I’m certain it is an opportunity Jess will grasp with both hands,” Sheppard told ECU Daily.

Anstiss Named in National Youth Squad