Featuring the best student journalism and broadcasting @ ECU.

Joondalup Leafy City Program

Eucalyptus gomphocephala on Carridean Street in Heathridge. Image supplied by City of Joondalup.

Venine Palm, Reporter

Residents with approved applications will have trees planted on the verge in front of their property between May and August.

Joondalup resident, Samantha Wyndham, said she was enthusiastic about the council initiative.

“I think the trees are a great idea. These days trees are being taken down left, right and centre. So it’s nice to hear that some are actually being planted,” Miss Wyndham told ECU daily.

The so-called “Leafy City” program was established as a means of increasing canopy cover, creating larger areas of shade for residents.

In addition to environmental benefits, Miss Wyndham said the trees would add to the visual aesthetic of the city.

“I think it will also help to brighten up Joondalup, making it more inviting and encouraging for people to go outside more.

“I love walking around the suburbs with my dogs and with the addition of more trees and shade I will be able to walk any time of the day without having to worry about the heat,” said Wyndham.

Despite the welcoming attitude of several residents, Alex Jones, spokesperson for Save Our Trees WA, said some programs have done more harm than good.

“My biggest concern about tree planting programs is that they often lead to tree replacement and the senseless destruction of existing mature trees,” Mr Jones told ECU daily.

“This is absurd and unacceptable. Local governments have removed thousands of trees over the years and caused much grief to residents.

“It’s about looking at the detail and asking specific questions to make sure that planting is not about destroying the current public trees.”

According to The Wildflower Society of WA the “Leafy City” program aims to compensate for past tree removal: “It will greatly assist in the ongoing preservation of the city’s urban forest.”

The process of tree planting required residents to fill in applications, with an independent arborist advising the City on the location and species of new trees.

Planting commences this month.

• Joondalup Leafy City Program

News

Empowering Chicks Helping the Third World

• Joondalup Leafy City Program

News

Art from the Heart at HeARTlines Festival

• Joondalup Leafy City Program

News

This Year Could be Deadliest for WA Motorcyclists

• Joondalup Leafy City Program

Health and Science

Netflix Held Ransom by Online Hackers

• News

Swiping Right for Female Trolls

• Joondalup Leafy City Program

News

Local Government Support For Marriage Equality Swells

• Joondalup Leafy City Program

News

Mother’s Day Market Spectacular

• Joondalup Leafy City Program

News

Convenient But Costly Qantas Hop to London

• Joondalup Leafy City Program

News

Honey Festival to Keep Bee Industry Buzzing

• News

Teenage Shark Attack Victim Now Centre of Debate

Joondalup Leafy City Program