Featuring the best student journalism and broadcasting @ ECU.

Swiping Right for Female Trolls

Yvonne Ardley, Staff

A study of 375 adults across Australia has found that women are just as likely to ‘troll’ on popular dating app, Tinder, as men.

The study published in Canadian journal Personality and Individual Differences, edited by psychology professor Donald Saklofske, comes at a time where online dating has become an increasingly popular way of meeting people for romantic pursuits.

Another study by Pew Research Centre, a U.S. social trend fact tank, shows that online dating has nearly tripled in the 18-24 year-old demographic over the last four years.

Other studies conducted have found men are almost 3 times more likely to be trolls on other forms of social media.

The term troll refers to people on the internet saying things to intentionally upset other people by using inflammatory language or to antagonise another party – essentially getting a thrill out of starting arguments.

Perth based comedian and self-confessed troll, Tor Snyder, used Tinder on a number of occasions for both personal and professional use.

“The reason to get on Tinder in the first place was to meet guys and to advertise my fringe show ‘dating naked.’”

“I basically just put the image of the poster up on my Tinder profile and swiped right to everyone, and as soon as they messaged me back I sent them a link to my show.”

“Essentially what we did was troll for tickets,” she said.

Miss Snyder said her personal use also included a degree of trolling.

“I have met a lot of guys on Tinder and dated a few of them. Tinder is basically a catalogue of men… and let’s not get carried away, it’s not David Jones, it’s more like K-mart.”

Miss Snyder said that her sold out fringe show depended on her being a Tinder troll.

“I was meeting men on Tinder and then trolling them on stage by judging their appearance – which is like professional trolling.”

Miss Snyder believes women troll more on Tinder because it’s empowering and a good way to judge a person’s character.

“Why wouldn’t we be trolls – who wouldn’t be? I wouldn’t want to date anyone who wouldn’t like me teasing them anyway. I make a living out of making fun of myself and I will go straight into making fun of them for making fun of themselves.”

Another Tinder user and self-confessed troll, Emily Aitkin, believes trolling helps her establish respect.

“I trolled as a way to let guys know they couldn’t dominate me.”

“Often in real life guys have the upper hand. They’re physically bigger and often more domineering and it was important to let them know that they had to respect me.”

“If I exchanged numbers with a strange man I just met and he sent me an unsolicited dick pic, of course I would ask him if it got any bigger than that. It’s my way of punishing bad behavior.”

“Good on women. If more men are trolls everywhere else, then I’m glad more women troll on Tinder. Power to them,” she said.

Miss Aitkin believes that while the term ‘troll’ often carries negative connotations, when used in the right circumstances it can be positive way to communicate.

“I don’t see trolling as a bad term in this sense – it’s more like banter and a more playful way to interact with someone. I’ve met some really great guys – ones with a good sense of humour.”

Tinder claimed to foster 26 million matches.

Tor Snyder and the poster she sent to men on tinder advertising her comedy show ‘Dating Naked’

Swiping Right for Female Trolls