Featuring the best student journalism and broadcasting @ ECU.

State Team “Punks” taking on WA’s best Pros

Jason Scrivener plays from a bunker at the WA Open. He will compete in the Pros vs Ams Series. Photo Blair Jackson

Blair Jackson, ECU Reporter

The director of WA’s Professional Golfers Association has told the State’s best amateur golfers to prepare for the upcoming Pros vs Amateur event.

“Hopefully the little punks can handle what the big boys bring,”  director Kim Felton told ECU Daily.

The annual match up was a WA golfing tradition until 1999. Felton played that year as an amateur, but his allegiances now firmly lie with the professionals.

“It’s a shame it has stopped being played,” said Felton, who is also South Australia’s PGA director. “I love the opportunity to get it back up and running.”

The exhibition matches will be held over one day, with foursomes (alternate shot) in the morning, followed by eight singles matches.

Brett Rumford will be the headline act for the PGA WA side at Melville.

He claimed his biggest career win in February at the Perth Super Sixes. Rumford stayed cool in front of an expectant home crowd to win that tournament.

Rumford will team up with Mandurah’s Jason Scrivener and Lakeland’s Daniel Fox. Also in the team for the pro’s are Stephen Dartnall, Jarryd Felton, Rick Kulacz, Michael Long and Brody Martin.

Kim Felton knows how fervently the amateurs will want to beat the pros. Felton’s game plan was clear the last time he played: “I wanted to show the pros who’s boss”.

Felton highlighted the importance of having big names like Rumford and Scrivener committing to the event, and was wrapped with the strength of the professional team.

“They’re all guys I would want in the PGA Kalgoorlie tournament, it would attract some serious media,” he said.

“I’m really happy and proud of our guys that have jumped on, come away from their busy schedules to make it happen”.

The matches will serve as preparation for the men’s amateur state team before the interstate series, held at Melville May 9-12.

Felton sees the event as great preparation for the state team, and a great opportunity for the amateurs to learn.

“These guys who’ve been picked in the state team are looking at their professional futures. It’s another opportunity to see how they go against a bloody good team. What the guys get out of it will be invaluable”.

Felton knows it won’t be a walk in the park for the pros, saying there will be some match up tactics and strategy in place.

“Rummy wants to play at six or seven, come out last and try and take on someone,” Felton told ECU Daily.

“It’ll be a good event, I’m looking forward to it”. The matches will be held at Melville Glades Golf Club on March 31.

“We are very keen to show these little punks who’s the boss.”

• Health and Science

Let’s Talk About Sex – For Teens

• State Team “Punks” taking on WA’s best Pros

Health and Science

Perth Pot Plant PhD Study

News

WA State Library Commemorates Indigenous Struggle

Health and Science

Scientists Extract DNA From Ancient Caves

News

Growing Calls for Margaret Court Arena Name Change

Arts and Entertainment

The Modern Day Bride

News

Empowering Chicks Helping the Third World

Health and Science

Worldwide Forest Estimates Increased

Health and Science

Screen Technology Impacting Kids’ Health

News

This Year Could be Deadliest for WA Motorcyclists